As a classic tale of mystery, the new film adaptation of Sherlock Holmes might disappoint some lovers of the traditional tale. However, the new imagination of Baker Street and Holmes himself certainly brought new things to the table. It was a film with only a few images that truly have staying power in one’s memory—a writhing woman in a white dress, a dark figure hanging by the neck over the Thames from a shipyard chain, a man that ignites into a flaming inferno upon firing a gun...these areas of the movie, while the most shocking and perhaps visually memorable, are actually not where it is most successful. Lord Blackwood, Holmes’ chief antagonist is introduced dramatically in one of these sinister scenes. Indeed, as Watson states decisively, “And that is the end of Lord Blackwood,” the audience is assured that this is certainly not the end of Lord Blackwood, and the movie’s main tension is born. Lord Blackwood is a formidable foe for Holmes, the convincing nature of his “powers” keeping the audience interested throughout.
However, the highlight of the film is in the relationship between Robert Downey Jr.’s Sherlock Holmes and the reluctant Doctor Watson, played by Jude Law. The classical nudes in the window of Watson’s office gracefully illustrate his value of order and perfect physical harmony, while the mise-en-scène of Holmes’ office with its resident chaos immediately clues the viewer in to their respective personalities and the seemingly differences between the two friends. The fact that Holmes’ room utilizes the same set as Sirius Black’s house in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix comes as no surprise—dark films are the order of the day, as is clear with the macabre trend in film and television nowadays. The snippy banter between Holmes and Watson stands out, as well as Downey Jr.’s Jack Sparrow-esque portrayal of Holmes: a land pirate now and moved from the Carribbean to the dirty streets of London in the late 1800s, Sherlock wields significantly superior weapons of ingenuity but the same vague and zany characteristics as Depp’s beloved pirate. An early scene in which Holmes boxes is particularly strong; the power of his mental talents is effectively and physically impressed upon the viewer in a striking manner. Rachel McAdams’ Irene Adler plays a somewhat superfluous role in the film. As Holmes’ kryptonite, the character of Miss Adler fails to pack a real punch, though not for lack of talent on McAdams’ part. Her character, though charmingly roguish as most less-than-savory seductive female characters in mysteries tend to be, fails to fulfill any real purpose in the film.
The movie reads as a blow-by-blow, just like the audience is treated to a preview of Holmes’ attack tactics before they happen on-screen. Events are paced with the deliberation of a good book, while keeping in mind modern audiences’ need for incessant action. Considering the recent vogue for all things gloomy, Sherlock Holmes takes a dark situation and keeps it comfortably paced and never dull. All in all, if one is not a die-hard aficionado of the classic tales, Sherlock Holmes can provide an entertaining movie-going experience. And of the ending? Well, some movie-goers might walk away with a bit of frustration at not hearing the man with the magnifying glass’s classic line; however, I’ll say it: this movie is elementary.
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The ending of the article sortof surprised me. Why do you find the film so elementary given the otherwise comprehensive, and relatively positive comments about the pace of the film and its ability to keep people interested. I'm really impressed by the amount of research you seem to have put in to the review, like the facts about the set for Sherlock's office. I think you did a great job.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a very strong review considering all the detail you tie in. I really like the connections to Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean because those are not ties I would have otherwise made. I also really enjoyed your interpretation of the strongest and most focused relationship of the film being between Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr.’s characters. I definitely went into the film expecting more of a love story but I saw it as a good surprise. I agree with you that as I am not a “die-hard aficionado of the classic tales”, I did mostly just find the film entertaining rather than exciting and authentic. However, I think the end of your review was a bit abrupt and as a reader I did not think and “elementary” outlook is where the review was concluding to in any way. I was hoping to hear more about why you felt that way because I found that statement almost as frustrating as the end of the movie you just described. But overall, your writing technique is strong as always, and I was very intrigued the entire time reading it. Additionally, I also really appreciate your honesty, as that is exactly what I would be looking for as a prospective movie viewer.
ReplyDeleteHi Megan,
ReplyDeleteObviously we don't have many Doyle fans on the blog roll! I laughed at the last line, but as you see, it can be confusing, especially as its meaning opposes your opinion on the film... Anyway, as stated above the tie-ins to Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean really worked to your advantage, although it made me question the movie's actual quality content vs. its modern appeal. Nice detail overall.
-Elaine
I found your review entertaining, although I enjoyed the comparisons between Holmes and Sparrow I don't know how much I agree with it. While both characters are eccentric, they have fundamentally different views on life and the way to live them.
ReplyDeleteI would also disagree with the role of Adler. While I'm no fan of McAdams (and didn't particularly enjoy her performance) she had a very specific role to play in Moriarti's ploy. She was intended as a distraction and not as a real love interest.
I did however, enjoy your comparison of Holmes and Watson's rooms to their personalities.
Good job! I agreed with you about the Irene Adler part, she really didn't seem to be a real foil for Holmes. I also really liked your interpretation of Watson's character from the sculptures. I thought that was a really great point.
ReplyDelete